Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Conjuring (2013)

 I have always been one for encouraging spontaneity. An unplanned movie date with my mother and friend turned into one of the best surprises that I have had in a while. Nothing against the people (I love you both), but the excitement came more from the movie of choice - The Conjuring. 

 It was a tale of good vs. evil. The plot evolves as it is revealed to the audience that one family has a problem (the Perrons) which can only be alleviated by means of the other family (the Warrens). The issue: particular persons, who are characterized as being a part of the supernatural world, have attached themselves to physical objects and other living people, in order to continue to perform the very evil acts that had taken place in the home years ago. In an effort to restore things to normal, an exorcism is performed on those who have been abducted by the evil spirits. To say whether the exorcism is a complete success would be unfair to those who have yet to watch the film. I do not think that anyone would mind, however, a slight glimpse into the movie screen with this before-credit roll quote:

"Diabolical  forces are formidable. These forces  are eternal, and they exist today. In a world that scoffs at ghosts and laughs at the unusual, the Warrens deliver a contrary message. That message is this: The fairy tale is true. The devil exists. God exists. And for us, as people, our very destiny hinges upon which one we elect to follow." Ed Warren

 This intrigued me. Not only was it an unexpected end to a terrifying movie, but it forced the audience to freeze, grab their last kernel, and reflect. Having just participated in watching this movie, I was taken aback by how subtle, yet powerful, the presence of this one quote had on me. The message was nothing but an intrusion on my thoughts, and strong enough for me to consider it as an entry for my blog. There is no mistaking, however,  that this was the director's intent; the desire to merge fantasy film with reality. I know the actual happenings in the movie frightened me a bit, but the final moments in which I processed this fact is what I consider most concerning. 

 Knowing that the circumstances present in the film actually happened, and observing the intense real-life terror that was experienced for this family, is the shocking experience that all movie-goers will receive. But the shock of knowing that your life is connected to their experience is the real thriller. You just have you see it.


Enjoy! 
MM :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment