Thursday, June 19, 2014

Celeb Special: Blue Ivy's Hair

I have seen this come up online a number of times and I think if Tamar Braxton, Syleena Johnson, and KeKe Wyatt (celebrities who are, clearly, too involved in the parenting lives of the Carters) can comment on this child's hair, than why can't I? Well, as to not stoop too low, I will not be doing that here. I will, however, make a comment on the situation.

Tamar Braxton, Syleena Johnson and Keke Wyatt's comments here: 

Photo Credit: Google
It started here: one of the first published photos of a young Blue Ivy Carter being held by her daddy, Sean Carter (Jay-Z). Her face is priceless and her cheeks are scrumptious. Her hair? Um... Let's say it's not what the media expected from the child of ga-gillionaires.

The criticisms continued as there seemed to be a trend of unkempt hairstyles in her future, considering the "sloppiness" of her hairstyles past. Media wanted it to stop, and headlines made crude remarks about the child's appearance. And if that wasn't enough, they blamed Jay-Z and Beyonce for bad parenting. (Yes, that was definitely an *gasp* OMG moment).

Photo Credit: Google
People thought it a fabulous idea to zoom in on her head when taking photos, and actually expect her parents to comment on their harsh words about their daughter. Talks about African-American all-natural hair was already being discussed on the internet, but the emphasis of her 'nappy' head shined a bad light on the entire idea (at least, for children). 

I am more than disappointed by the fact that other celebrities, reportedly, petitioned with other civilians to have the Carters do something about their daughters appearance. 

*SideVent: Theses people have never even touched Blue's hair! Looks can be deceiving. Her hair texture may just be extra thick*

It was only yesterday that I wrote a blog post about the way the media imposes themselves upon the minds of young girls, and here is a great example of this disgusting cycle at work. 

To the women, and MOTHERS, TB and KW, along with the others who made up this stupid petition: I expected more. To the females who are pregnant, carrying young ladies, I hope you know what values you wish to teach because the moment they take their first breath, there is a world out there waiting to criticize them. 


Photo Credit: KickUSA.com
It is clearer, now more than ever, that females play a heavy role in initiating, and continuing this cycle of defining beauty. While women are motivated for a variety of reasons to alter their looks, it is the female community that pressures other females, who are not following the 'rules of beauty' to succumb to the 'norm.' Blue Ivy is, at most, two years old right now, and is being bombarded with this. I have yet to see a photo of her and her hair that shows that the Carters pay any attention to it. And you know, I hope I never do. Keeping her away from this mess is best, and is what I would do if I were her mother. She is wayyyyy to young to be poisoned with words and photos and makeup brushes. Let her watch Barney in peace! 

To Blue, more power to you, honey!  

Best,
MM :)



2 comments:

  1. So I have been following your blog for a while but I haven't gotten a chance to comment on anything...today is your lucky day!

    Girl, you KNOW Jay and Bey need to comb that girl's hair. LOL jk I def see your point and you brought in a new perspective: Who's to say what's beautiful and what isn't! I agree.

    -SHAHHH NELL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad you're enjoying my posts. Personally, they just need to keep her healthy and happy. If that means being afro-nappy, then so be it. Glad you enjoy. Please, continue to comment. I love to hear what people think.

      Delete